Sodexo at Drexel University is seeking a Culinary Cook is to provide the highest quality of service to customers at all times. Additionally, the Cook must be able to develop creative menus, possess advanced culinary skills, and have the ability to demonstrate skills to other production staff.
- Responsible for production and/or prep of all meal periods for hot and cold food according to established recipes by using a variety of kitchen equipment and cooking methods.
- Receives verbal or written instructions from Executive Chef and Culinary Supervisor on food required, and prepares and cooks food according to instructions, including special diets.
- Able to work all culinary stations as needed.
- Tastes products, follows menus, estimates food requirements, checks production, and keeps records in order to accurately plan production and requisition supplies and equipment.
- May also make menu changes with permission from Exec Chef/Manager, and communicates the changes to Cooks and Chefs.
- Ensures proper storage of all food products, including leftovers.
- Develops the plate presentation for all plated catering meals.
- Monitors leftover product and excess product, discusses proper use of such product with Exec Chef/Manager, and then communicates with Cooks and Chefs.
- Devises creative menus for last-minute catering requests based upon available products, and directs staff in preparation of such menus.
- Cleans and maintains work areas, utensils and equipment, including daily clean-up of refrigerators and freezers.
- Consistently provides superior service at all times.
- Keeps daily production records.
- Attends to day-to-day problems and needs concerning equipment and food supplies.
- Must follow all food safety HACCP and physical safety rules and regulations, including taking temperatures every 2 hours and maintaining HACCP records and logbook as required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a commercial kitchen or restaurant setting serving 300+ meals per shift.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a lead or supervisory position.
- Completion of a minimum 2 years of study at an accredited culinary program is required.
- Advanced knowledge of food preparation and presentation methods, techniques and quality standards.
- Knowledge of commercial kitchen equipment, environment and food production.
- Knowledge of cleaning and maintaining equipment, supplies and materials.
- Ability to follow advanced-level recipes.
- Must be able to quantify a recipe in increments of 25 servings.
- Ability to prepare from scratch soups, stocks and sauces.
- Ability to show flexibility in an ever-changing work environment.
- Position requires long periods of standing, bending, walking, above-average agility and dexterity, and ability to carry moderately heavy items.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
- Ability to handle customer interaction while making and handling customers’ needs.
- This position may require serving of food to customers directly.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Don’t miss out on this great opportunity to become a member of our team!Sodexo will require a background check and may require a drug screen for all positions. At Sodexo, we value workforce diversity. EOE, M/F/D/V.
At Sodexo, we believe that Quality of Daily Life contributes to the progress of individuals and the performance of organizations. As a strategic partner for over 6,000 corporations, healthcare, long-term care and retirement centers, schools, college campuses, military and remote sites in North America, we offer comprehensive service solutions that include managing food service, housekeeping, groundskeeping, plant operations and maintenance, asset management and laundry services.